20 January 2009

roots and strength


so, this picture is not from the storm we are currently having, but a random picture illustrating what i have seen so much of the last couple of days. the wind is still blowing fiercely and i'm praying that it will subside soon.

with all of the broken and fallen trees, i am reminded of one of Jesus' parables. in matthew 13, He talks about the farmer sowing seed on different kinds of soil and later He describes them to his disciples. verses 20 and 21 deeply terrify me because i have seen this in my own life.

The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away. Matthew 13:20,21

the ability of the massive tree in this picture amazes me. i can't imagine the weight and the glory contained and anchored down by so shallow of roots. a lot of my focus in life has gone towards improving the outward appearances or growing in ways that are obvious to those closest to me. that should not be my top priority. i need to invest time into my roots.

how do you invest in your roots?

No comments: