03 April 2011

where am i running?

it is easy to run away.  although i've been slacking on my physical running, i have sure been exercising my emotional and spiritual "legs".  not much thought has gone into where i am going except for away from my problems.

this morning at church, this song blatantly revealed the direction i wasn't going.

to be honest, i don't know if i have ever run back to God.  don't get me wrong...i have had plenty of opportunities, but i tend to meander back with my tail between my legs.  ashamed and at the end of my rope, i have a hard time thinking that He is happy to see me.

the parable of the lost son in luke paints a different picture and brought tears to my eyes tonight as i re-read the familiar but forgotten words.

So he got up and went to his father.  But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.  The son said to him, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you.  I am no longer worthy to be called your son."  But the father said to his servants, "Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him.  Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet.  Bring the fattened calf and kill it.  Let’s have a feast and celebrate.  For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found."  So they began to celebrate.
Luke 15:20-24

what if i start anticipating the celebration and not a lecture?

1 comment:

Ashley Pichea said...

What a beautiful picture... it's too easy to run away! I love the picture of the dignified father picking up his skirt and running towards his prodigal son. What a blessing that God runs after us!