10 September 2010

stop praying -- chapter one

"What if I said, 'Stop praying'?  What if I told you to stop talking at God for a while, but instead to take a long, hard look at Him before you speak another word?  Solomon warned us not to rush into God's presence with words.  That's what fools do.  And often, that's what we do."

the first chapter continues on to describe some of the phenomenal things that God has orchestrated and created.  it speaks of us having "spiritual amnesia", that no matter how much He has revealed to us we forget who He really is.  i am appalled at how true that is in my life and how much i take for granted every day. why is it so hard to consistently stay connected to the one who is my source of hope, joy, strength and love?

this year in particular i feel like i have questioned and fought God the most.  it hasn't necessarily been a bad thing, because before this point i feel like i distanced myself whenever i disagreed with Him.  anyways, these questions struck me hard...

"Can you worship a God who isn't obligated to explain His actions to you?  Could it be your arrogance that makes you think God owes you an explanation?"

i am sensing my perspective shifting already, as i desire to stand in awe of God and acknowledge myself for who i am.

3 comments:

Alexis said...

That quote is amazing,I see in my life that I do go too quickly into His presence without thinking of who I'm running towards. What a good reminder!

Unknown said...

I agree with you. I actually just listened to a sermon this morning that talked about this very thing. What makes us think He will listen, let alone answer our prayers when we are coming before him half heartedly: even doubting. Doesn't that passage talk about when you doubt in prayer you are a double minded person, unright in your ways? I'll send you a link to the sermon. It's pretty to the point on this same topic!

http://www.cornerstonesimi.com/special/media_player.html
Then go to about Feb2010 and it's titled "When God doesn't listen" and it's one of my favorite lessons. I keep re-listening to it.

Leilani said...

What book is that quote from? I'd love to check it out, it sounds good!